Monday, April 20, 2009

Speak Truth to Power

I think I'm in love with a Republican. This is an absolute first for me. I'm sorry but there is nothing in this world sexier than a strong woman standing tall and speaking truth to power without flinching once. Another amazing thing about the object of my affection is that she is just 24 years old and the daughter of Senator John McCain. Where Meghan McCain chose to take her stand is as surprising as the words she spoke. She accepted an invitation to speak from the Log Cabin Republicans, a gay and lesbian political group. As you might imagine the Log Cabin folks are not the darlings of conservative movement. In fact the GOP has been holding them at arms length and marginalizing their message for years. Her words to them are swoon worthy if only for their down right, in your face honesty.

"I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think the government is at it's best when it stays out of people's lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And I am a Republican."

Later that week in a blog post for The Daily Beast titled "Go Gay!" she said:


Of all of the causes I believe in and respect this is one of the ones closest to my heart. If the Republican Party has any hope of gaining substantial support from a wider, younger base, we need to get past our anti gay rhetoric."


Meghan is not alone in the McCain camp in believing that "there's a war brewing in the Republican Party." At the same event the architect of John McCain's failed 2008 bid for the White House, Steve Schmidt, urged that conservatives drop their opposition to same sex marriage.

"One of the things that has definitely impacted my views on these issues and an evolution of thought over time is having a gay sibling," Schmidt told CNN. "As Americans get to know gay couples and or have gay family members, or work associates ... they come to understand that these relationships are deep and worth being respect and being protected."


I believe that the war Meghan predicts will not come to pass. Over the next 8 years I suspect same sex marriage will become a reality in a majority of the states in the Union. When the GOP mounts a successful assault on the reign of the Democrats it will be with one of the new generation of Republicans and the harsh rhetoric of the extreme right and the old Evangelicals will be fading fast. If you believe as I do look to the east and you may just see the first rays of the new dawn for the LGBT community. Morning has been a long time coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... would you say the same thing about Elizabeth Hasselback? LMAO!